Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Favorites: Becky Higgins sketches

In honor of Becky Higgins resignation from Creating Keepsakes, I figured my love for her sketches would be perfect for my Friday Favorites.

Before I begin, though, I want to apologize for any blurry pictures!  We just got back from apple picking and I wanted to quickly get the pictures and in my laziness I didn't go back to redo blurry pictures!


I loves sketches, all kinds, but these are the ones that introduced me into the sketch world.  It seems that finding the perfect picture placement for my pictures has always been the hardest part for me, so having a blueprint made things go so much faster for me!

After a while it seemed that I had collected so many of Becky's sketches, plus her 2 sketch books (at the time) and I was getting tired of always pulling everything out each time.  So I came up with a way to put it all together and it made it so much easier for me to browse the sketches without having a whole bunch of different books.

I decided I would take all her sketches and put them in one big binder.  I started with the monthly ones from the magazine.  I took the sketch and the layout examples and put them in page protectors and then into the binder.  I did these for all the ones I had when I had my subscription to CK magazine.

When I no longer subscribed, I would get the sketches from online on the website.


 I put the sketch and the examples layouts on a sheet and then print out each month, hole punches the sheets and put them in the binder with the others.

The next part was a little traumatizing, but after I did it, I felt it was worth it.


 I ended up taking apart the idea books so I would be able to put that into my binder


I did it for both the books...


Now I had all her sketches and all examples in one place.  All I have to do is pull out one binder instead of a bunch of magazines, 2 books, and some print outs from the computer.

The only one I don't have in the binder is the Best of Becky Higgins Sketches - her latest sketch book.  I like the way the book is set up and I didn't want to take it apart.  But there is something I did do in this book...
















I know the pictures is blurry, but down at the bottom of the page I wrote where the sketch came from.  So if it was from the magazine I wrote the month and year.  If it was from one of the books, I wrote which book and the page number.  This way I can reference the sketch in my binder.

I thought I would also show some scrapbook pages I did using the sketches as inspiration.  Most of the times I start with a sketch and I modify it some way to fit the pictures I have, but sometimes I do my own page almost the same placement as the sketch...it really depends.  Oh, and let me apologize again for the pictures taken right from my album.  Again, laziness!  I just wanted to get the pictures and didn't want to pull each one out of my album and then have to put them back in.  Also, I was trying to get some of the 2 page layouts side by side and I can't seem to get it to work, so I'm sorry that they're not next to each other!

















   
Title: cricut cartridge - Storybook, Patterned Paper: Basic Grey (I think...I can't remember!)



Those are just a few pages I have made using sketches.  I just love how it makes things so much faster for me when trying to design a page, especially for the part I seem to struggle with the most - picture placement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin